The University’s governance structure is intended to perfect and make permanent the University’s essential character as a Catholic and American institution of higher learning and its role as the national university of the Catholic Church, sponsored by the United States bishops, while permitting lay responsibility and support for the University. The Fellows serve as the members of the Board of Trustees and hold certain reserved powers designed to preserve the ecclesial patrimony of the University. The responsibility for governance and oversight of the operations of the University resides in the University’s Board of Trustees.
The Fellows include representative from four groups: cardinal fellows, those serving as diocesan bishops in the United States; bishop fellows (four who are appointed by the fellows); ex officio fellows, who include the chairman of the board; the president of the University; the chancellor of the University; the president of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops; and appointed fellows (two laypersons) from the Board of Trustees.
The University will have no fewer than twenty (20) and no more than forty (40) trustees who are designated as the appointed trustees.
Current Membership of the Board of Trustees
- Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila, Denver, Colo.
- Richard D. Banziger, New York, N.Y.
- Bishop John O. Barres, Rockville Centre, N.Y.
- Lawrence J. Blanford, Naples, Fla.
- Gisela Blohm-Padula, Miami, Fla.
- Lee Ann Joiner Brady, Skillman, N.J.
- Bishop Michael F. Burbidge*, Arlington, Va.
- Joseph L. Carlini, Malvern, Pa.
- Lance Casimir, Esq., Arlington, Va.
- William E. Conway, Jr.*, McLean, Va.
- Cardinal Blase J. Cupich*, Chicago, Ill.
- Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo*, Houston, Texas
- Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan*, New York, N.Y.
- Sister Janet Eisner, S.N.D., Boston, Mass.
- Jay M. Ferriero, McLean, Va.
- Peter C. Forlenza, Rumson, N.J.
- Bishop Daniel E. Flores, Brownsville, Texas
- John Garvey*, President, Washington, D.C.
- Archbishop José H. Gomez*, Los Angeles, Calif.
- Cardinal Wilton D. Gregory*, Chancellor, Chairman of the Fellows, Washington, D.C.
- Frank J. Hanna III, Atlanta, Ga.
- Archbishop Bernard A. Hebda*, Saint Paul, Minn.
- Joseph Impicciche, St. Louis, Mo.
- María Iraburu Elizalde, Ph.D., Navarra, Spain
- Juan Jones, Potomac, Md.
- Deacon Stephen J. Kaneb, South Hampton, N.H.
- Patrick E. Kelly, New Haven, Conn.
- Archbishop Joseph E. Kurtz, Louisville, Ky.
- Leonard A. Leo, McLean, Va.
- Archbishop William E. Lori*, Baltimore, Md.
- Sister Donna Markham, O.P., Alexandria, Va.
- William P. McInerney, Esq., Franklin Lakes, N.J.
- J. Paul McNamara, Bethesda, Md.
- Elizabeth B. Meers, Esq.,Washington, D.C.
- Gerard E. Mitchell, Esq., Washington, D.C.
- Robert J. Neal, Newport Beach, Calif.
- Anne E. O'Donnell, M.D., Arlington, Va.
- Cardinal Seán P. O'Malley, O.F.M. Cap.*, Boston, Mass.
- E. Jeffrey Rossi, Esq., Warren, Ohio
- Monsignor Walter R. Rossi, Washington, D.C.
- Enrique Segura*, Washington, D.C.
- Ginamarie Shaffer Lynch, Sterling, Va.
- Vincent N. Sica, Fairfax Station, Va.
- Victor P. Smith, Esq.*, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Cardinal Joseph Tobin, C.Ss. R.*, Newark, N.J.
- Monsignor Peter J. Vaghi, Bethesda, Md.
- Christopher M. Veno, Malvern, Pa.
- Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron*, Detroit, Mich.
- Lawrence J. Morris, Secretary of the Board, Springfield, Va.
*Asterisk denotes member of the Fellows.
Board members are listed as of June 9, 2021.
To contact the Board of Trustees email: CUA-Trustees@cua.edu.