Do you have a passion for Spanish language, literature, and culture? Do you want to immerse yourself in one of the fastest-growing international languages? Major in Hispanic Studies at The Catholic University of America and give yourself an advantage in our multicultural society.

As a Hispanic Studies major at The Catholic University of America, you will become proficient in the Spanish language while receiving a thorough introduction to Hispanic literature and civilization. There is also the opportunity to major in Spanish for International Service, which will prepare you for a career in government agencies or Spanish-speaking businesses. Your study of Hispanic culture will take place within the broader context of scholarship that distinguishes a liberal arts education, helping you to grow as a global citizen.

The Catholic University of America encourages you to enrich your Hispanic Studies education by spending a semester abroad in a Spanish-speaking country. Studying in cities like Madrid or Buenos Aires allows you to expand your cultural knowledge and gain valuable language practice, both of which will serve you well in the career of your choice.


Major In Hispanic Studies

The Major in Hispanic Studies offers an interdisciplinary approach to the study of the Spanish-speaking world. It is designed to provide students with a solid background in the cultural history of Latin America, Spain and the Hispanic and Latino communities in the United States. Students combine language, culture and practical skills courses in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures with a practical immersion experience in a Spanish-speaking country. Students are encouraged to supplement their studies with courses dealing with the Spanish-speaking world in areas such as Anthropology, Art, Drama, History, Media Studies, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Sociology, and Theology and Religious Studies.

Education Abroad

  • Hispanic Studies Majors are required to spend a semester studying abroad in a Spanish speaking country.
  • All credits earned abroad are eligible for transfer if the student is enrolled in affiliated programs. SPAN 300, SPAN 489, and at least one 400-level content research seminar must be taken at The Catholic University of America.
  • Under special circumstances may students petition that the study abroad requirement be waived. In these cases the department will consider summer abroad programs, approved cultural immersion experiences, or internships instead.

Free Electives and Distribution Courses