No single factor in the consideration for admission is more important than a student's ability to read, write, speak and understand the English language. Course work demands university-level English language proficiency and skills. The University requires all applicants whose native language is not English to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam before they can be considered for final admission. Students should have their test results sent directly to The Catholic University of America.

English Proficiency Testing Services

TOEFL Educational Testing Service

Phone: 609-771-7100

P.O. Box 6155
Princeton, NJ 08541 USA

TOEFL Code Number -5104

International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

Phone: 626-564-2954

100 E. Corson St., Suite 200
Pasadena, CA 91103

Duolingo English Test

Phone: 412-567-6602

5900 Penn Ave, Second Floor 
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206

Pearson PTE English Language Tests


330 Hudson St.
New York City, NY 10013

Acceptable Test Scores

Graduate Score Undergraduate Score

80 Internet

80 Internet



Duolingo 105


PTE 58


Campus Mailing Address

Office of Undergraduate Admission
Father O’Connell Hall, Rm 102
620 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, D.C. 20064

Phone: 202-319-5305
Toll-Free: 800-673-2772

Attn: Enrollment Operations
620 Michigan Ave NE
Washington, D.C. 20064

Phone: 202-319-5057
Toll-Free: 800-673-2772

When/How can test scores be waived?

The English language testing requirement can be waived on a case-by-case basis should the applicant have appropriate documentation of successful completion of one of the following:

  1. Catholic University Intensive English Program
  2. Level 112 in the intensive English program offered by an ELS Language Center.
  3. A complete Intensive English program at an accredited institution of higher education.
  4. A college-level English Composition class determined to be the equivalent of or more advanced than Catholic University's English Composition 101 course, with a grade of B or above for applicants to undergraduate programs.
  5. A graduate degree, a Bachelor's Degree (B.A. or B.S.), or an Associates Degree (A. A.) from an accredited U.S. institution of higher education or a high school diploma. Graduates from a U.S. high school are required however to submit SAT/ACT scores.