International Student Confirmation of Financial Support

In order to be issued visa documentation, which is needed to apply for a student visa at a U.S. consulate and to maintain student status once in the United States, applicants must provide written proof that they have adequate funds to meet the expenses incurred while studying in the United States. Confirmation of Financial Support should be provided in one of the following ways:

  • A duly notarized statement of support from the student's sponsor and evidence of the student or sponsor's financial resources dated no more than 90 days prior to submission of application for admissions. The three most recent consecutive bank statements documenting the availability of the required funds must also be submitted.
  • If student is providing their own documentation, they must also include a letter from the bank that includes the name of the account holder, date account was opened, total deposits in the 90 days preceding submissions of application for admission, 90 day average balance, current balance, bank letterhead and original signature of bank official.
  • An official letter or award from the student's government or other sponsoring organization indicating the terms of the support and the amount of funding they are providing.

Tuition Costs and Ability to Pay

Study in the U.S. is expensive. The exact cost of living and studying in the U.S. varies considerably from person to person and from one degree program to another.

Cost figures currently used for purpose of issuing immigration documents can be found here. Please be aware that the University requires all students to have medical insurance while they study at Catholic University. The University will automatically enroll any student is the University's student health insurance plan unless the student can demonstrate that they have acquired comparable coverage through another company.

Documenting Ability to Pay

If you will be coming to the U.S. to study at The Catholic University of America and need to be sponsored by the University for F-1 or J-1 status, you must be able to establish your ability to cover the costs associated with your studies.

International students have very limited ability to work in the U.S. and cannot rely on the ability to work outside the school to meet their financial needs. Before the University can issue your immigration documents you must supply documentation showing you have the funds for the first year of study and have the reasonable expectation of being able to cover the rest of your studies. Available funds must show annual tuition, living expenses, and health insurance. These figures change every year. Catholic University uses the following currency conversion source when calculating whether or not the amount of money documented is sufficient:

If your financial support comes from a combination of sources, you will need to document each source. See the information above on how to document your financial support.

NOTE: Catholic University will not issue any immigration documents unless a student can provide the required financial resources. Money, or more precisely the lack of it, is one of the primary stressors faced by international students.

Financial Aid

International applicants should visit the International Student and Scholar Services Office for detailed admission application information.

International graduate students should contact the graduate admission office for more information on institutional scholarship opportunities.

International citizens may seek private commercial educational loans from various private lenders. In general, most lenders require a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to be a co-signer for international commercial education loans. For additional information, please visit our Private (Commercial) Loans page.