Taking Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and Dual-Enrollment courses allow students to challenge themselves with classes taught at the college level while still in high school. While not required for admission, we encourage you to take advantage of these options if they’re offered at your school, as these courses can provide a strong academic foundation and preparation for the rigor of the classes taught here at Catholic University.

AP, IB, and Dual-Enrollment courses also give students the option to earn college credit that can then be transferred to Catholic. These credits are evaluated by the faculty of the School of Arts and Sciences, and can be awarded a few different ways.

  • AP Credits

    AP Credits are awarded bases on the qualifying score achieved by a student on the AP Exam; typically a score of 4 or 5 is required to receive credit. The required exam score and corresponding credit hours awarded can be found on this chart. For more information on Advanced Placement requirements, please visit the Undergraduate Studies website

  • IB Credits

    IB Credits are likewise awarded based on the qualifying scores earned by students on the IB examinations; corresponding exams and scores can be found here. Credits are only awarded for students who complete the full IB Diploma program and take the Higher Level (HL) exam. For more information on International Baccalaureate requirements, please visit the Undergraduate Studies website

  • Dual-Enrollment Courses

    Dual-Enrollment Courses and college classes taken while in high school are subject to specific requirements. In order to qualify for credit, the courses must be taken at a regionally accredited institution — classes taught at a high school by a college instructor do not qualify. In addition, these classes must be substantially similar to their corresponding course here at Catholic University, and applicants must complete a transfer credit evaluation form prior to enrolling in order to receive credit. For more about Dual-Enrollment requirements, please visit the Undergraduate Studies website

AP and IB credits are posted by your school at Catholic University. Questions about specific classes and credits can be directed to your school or to the Transfer Coordinator at CUA-transfercredit@cua.edu

Dual-Enrollment credits are evaluated by the Transfer-Credit Coordinator. Questions can be sent to CUA-transfercredit@cua.edu